I read a lot. This book has hit the shelf of “never let anyone borrow it”. So sorry, you’ll have to get your own copy. Why am I so possessive? This book is exactly what so many businesses, and therefore so many business students, need to make social media work for them & not against them. Here are 7 reasons it made the shelf:
1. The Argument – Compelling reasoning to use social media for business is presented in a practical, no nonsense argument.
2. More than Marketing – Jay and Amber explain how critical it is to understand the organization and organizational behaviour that will influence the social media implementation. Effective use of social media is not just a marketing thing. They get it, and they make sure that you get it.
3. It’s About Culture – The focus is very much on the culture of “social” and less so on the media. This is critical as much of this revolution is about changing relationships. The tools are really secondary.
4. Think Strategy – Wanting to be “doing social media” is really crazy if you don’t why you need to be involved and what you want to achieve. They require you to be strategic.
5. It’s Not About You! – Their philosophy includes organizational change and leadership discussions that will empower social media enthusiasts from all areas, and all positions within a company.
6. Metrics! – Yes, you must measure what you’re up to. The book gives example after example of tools to measure your progress and they fit all budgets.
7. You Can Do It – You know those business books that you read, and as you put it down you’re stoked. You’re excited about all the new and fantastic ideas you’ve just explored, and then you crash. You realize that you have no idea how to make any of those things happen. This isn’t one of those books. Each chapter gives specific steps and instruction for business of all sizes, and a wide range social media strategies, suited to a multitude of goals.
This book is a great how to, certainly, but better than that, it is a compelling why to.
I won’t share my book, but in the spirit of all they profess, Jay and Amber share the first chapter of the book for free. Check it out at http://nowrevolutionbook.com/